Skip to main content

Introspection with Juan

Got caught up on business matters with my friend and colleague Juan.  During Startical 1.0, I had yet to meet him in person, but he had this lovely message for me back then.  Juan and I have lived some difficult entrepreneurial struggles together, and have had shared some unconventional business travels together, so I was very curious how he would respond to the question of how he would spend one extra hour per day if he could use it however he wants:
I would use the hour for introspection, to work on my own shit, to read, to write and to learn.
Juan said he was already making time regularly to do this.  He said it's easy to forget to make oneself the priority.  I definitely agree.  Introspection was part of a key takeaway from Startical 1.0 and is clearly a theme here once again!

Popular posts from this blog

Borscht

Evolutionary Purpose

Will and I discussed finding the balance of progress and purpose in organisations (startups and otherwise) which reminded me of the book Reinventing Organizations by Frédéric Laloux which was recommended to me by one of my mentors.  We found the clip above on YouTube (if you're not familiar with Laloux, it's a nice short summary of his work) and one element stood out for me: what he called Evolutionary Purpose . How I understand this concept is that the purpose (or soul) of an organisation evolves over time, rather than an individual or leadership team directing towards a specific outcome.  It's very much in line with the sailboat analogy and the lunch discussion I had with the team. It is very reassuring to me that the people closest to me today all affirmed my feelings on leadership, and interesting that it often took very different paths/context for us to be able to truly connect on the subject.

Hail Satan?

This will likely be the click-baitiest post title of Startical 2.0, but it is in fact the title of the film I watched on Netflix while taking a lunch break.  And it was good. If you haven't yet seen it, let me perhaps surprise you with the seven fundamental tenets of The Satanic Temple: One should strive to act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason. The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions. One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone. The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo one's own. Beliefs should conform to one's best scientific understanding of the world. One should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit one's beliefs. People are fallible. If one makes a mistake, one should do one's best to rectify it and resol...